Monday, November 23, 2015

Does God answer prayer?


Perhaps a better question is "Does God care about the little things?" I can't assume to do justice to the topic of answered prayer when it comes to the tough things like a mom sitting up all night praying for a wayward child, or a spouse watching their best friend dying of cancer, or refugees with nowhere to sleep and nothing to eat.  Although in my heart my answer to them would be the same as my answer to this small antidotal question. "YES".

My kids wanted to see snow. We only have 5 weeks before we leave for Peru, and although Chicago is located in the mid-west, the lake effect often keeps snow from accumulating. Often the fall sees a light dusting, but real snow is reserved for the months of January and February. Yet, because we asked people to pray, Chicago got about a foot of snow two days ago. Mind you, only a few miles south of Bill's parent's home, closer to downtown, the snow DID NOT stick. But here in the northwest side, our kids frolicked in the snow, built a snowman, threw dozens of snow balls, and even tackled their mother (me) in the snow.

When we came back inside, William (14) said, "Now I can go back to Peru." To which his younger brother Cullen replied "Well after Thanksgiving and Christmas." That's the essence of furlough to my kids: seeing their cousins, (and the rest of the family), eating lots of American candy, and experiencing some of the simple things in life like throwing a snow ball.  Mission accomplished. Thank you Almighty Weatherman. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment